Juz Another Gal

What else can I say? I'm just another girl!

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Band is a part of my life

Work is piling up. I haven't been studying.

Tonight, I landed up at band. But like every other time I go for band at the music room, I come home extremely satisfied. I think that's the word to describe the feeling.

It was a meeting with the young ones who had just graduated. I was all jittery from the night before, worried sick about how it'd turn out. It all went well. The kids were receptive to our idea of them planning the concert in June, while we older ones oversee the planning.

I still don't think I am much of a leader at all. The only thing that made me seem like a leader was when I kicked off the meeting, and went home to "report" to my "board of directors".

Yep. That's how our band functions. We have an advisory committee formed by very senior members (founding peeps of the band really), then the excutive committee (which is formed by members like myself), then the members.

Somehow I feel like the corporate world has seeped in to the structure: advisory committee = board of directors; exco = Management; concert committee = supervisors; members = staff. HAHAHA! But of course, these are without the politics and manipulation. All "report" to one another and we really work together as a team. We are a very small group afterall.

Anyway, interesting right? I love to know that I have something to commit to outside of work. A healthy activity that makes use of skills and can develop myself. Instead of bumming in front of the TV like I have been for too long.

Just when I thought we band people were the only crazy ones with people coming back to school to help (after 8 years), we saw a few from the my batch managing the young scouts. It was extremely nice to know that we band people weren't the only ones who actually did this.

In case I haven't mentioned, the band I'm referring to is my secondary school alumni band. I play the flute, and am president for this year. It's been my sole musical outlet for the past few years. My goal this year is to make sure it doesn't die in my hands. hahaha!

I am sooo not cut out for management. Still, I'm enjoying the experience. It's great to learn. At work, I help the managers. At band, I become the manager. Great for my resume eh?

Band will be coming back in full-swing at a wrong time for me. My mock exams are in 2 weeks. Revision classes will be very intensive. My exams will be in May.

I still want to commit to band. I strongly believe that it is a matter of time management, sacrifice and the determination in wanting this to work out. One of my committee members is having his A levels this year. And he already claims he cannot commit to the band. Honestly, it's a matter of whether he wants to or not. Like how I cited to him: People have kids, a wife, a job and can study at the same time. I have it a little easier than them. But all he has to worry about is his A LEVELS?!?!

Good luck in the real world dude.

To each his own though. Not everyone's cut out for a life as packed as this. I know Dearie isn't. I guess guys really can't multi-task can they? Haha! I guess he's still young lahz - my committee member I mean. Later on then he'll discover bah.

I've got 2 other fantastic members on my team. I can't wait to pass the baton to them sia. In the meantime, I shall embrace the task at hand. To talk to my "board of directors", liaise with the school, prepare for the next meeting, and prepare to start contacting all the other members of the band.

For now, it's off to bed. Going to office tomorrow to clear some work. Next week is the Asian Aerospace. Busy week. Dearie has set aside Sunday to study. I need him to make me. How ironic. He make me study instead of the other way around. BLECH.

Work busy. Exams coming. Band concert in-the-making.

It's going to be one hell of an adventure all before June..

Time to up my game.

5 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger Elvina aka LaoNiang said...

Hi babe
Didn't know you are so talented. I for one, am so NOT musically inclined. I can make noise, not music though hahaha...

Glad to know you are such a multi-tasker. Challenging - but obstacles and struggles actually help a lot in building character and discipline. :)

Glad to know that everything between you and Dearie are ok. Try not to be too affected by relationships, because both of you are still very young...so expectations are still very raw.

The last thing I reacted this way to my ex, it was disastrous. We end up quarreling every time we talk. It's like we can no longer communicate, and we felt both of us refused to understand each other.

I took 5 years off relationships, to reflect upon myself. And I realised I may have been demanding... Does it really matter if he doesn't do as I say? Do I ALWAYS listen to him? maybe not eh?

To love or be love, both needs practice. Lots of it. Patience and compromising may be extremely difficult to exercise, because we girls always want our way. But maybe..for a really less pressurizing relationship,maybe it's better not to insist on our guy to take our advice, especially when he is not ready.

I have learnt to let go many of my principles - and it has many benefits. I learnt to tell my dearie my feelings through sms, emails, letters -so confrontation is not necessary. There are many ways to communicate, it's just the way we choose our words and tone.

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. :)

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Chang said...

Who Says Guys Can't Multi-TASK !

I Can Play Game On My PC, Talk On The Phone, Watch TV And Eat AT THE SAME TIME ! ! ! ! !

WU HA HA HA HA HA ! ! ! ! ! ! !

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger sÞ¡ηηєє said...

music rules! carry on this for your mental soul theraphy ;)

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger juz_A_ga| said...

Elvina: I have to totally agree with you on the different forms of communication. We use sms and msn quite a lot. :O)
When you don't find love, love will come to you on its own.

Chang: wah. minority lehz.

Ruben: I hope it wasn't simon cowell who told u that? haha! but seriously, music can be learnt by anyone.

Spinnee: yep! I'll do this as long as I can!

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Sexual Innuendo said...

You just have to find some form of balance in your life. Cant do everything at once yet you cant not do anything also.

Music for your soul therapy and study for your brain therapy.

Hang in there. cheerz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home