Juz Another Gal

What else can I say? I'm just another girl!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Celebrating the New Year (Part 1)

Happy New Year!!!
First post for the year. So much to blog about, so little time…

31st Dec 2005 (Saturday)
I got up on my own that morning. Shortly after, kiki the little tornado came through our place and turned it upside down. As usual.

Dearie said he was going over to his buddy’s place (who was also my classmate) so he’d pick me up and hang out together. I put on my new top and slapped on some make-up while waiting for him. It was going to be a long while before he came over, and trying to apply make-up and change with kiki around can be quite the challenge.

Ki claims he's doing work at the computer.


Change top. Play with penguin. Put moisturiser. Play car. Apply foundation. Play ball. Can’t say no to the little fella. Neither will I trade quality time for superficial me.

Dearie came over and played with kiki. Only then did I manage to play with the mascara wand. I am still trying to figure out how I’m supposed to apply it. Been making my eyelashes look really odd but let’s see if they improve by the end of this tube.

I hurried through the mascara-phase and wanted to spend more time with ki before leaving the house. Dearie and I gave a fond farewell to the self-proclaimed naughty boy because we were running late and the sky was turning angry.

Sure enough, the rain started when we were on the road. Landed up having to stop at a bus stop. The intention was for me to put on the rain coat and try to make it to our destination asap, but another motorcycle rider told us he had made a u-turn from further up to put on his rain coat because the rain was heavier up front.

We waited for the rain to simmer down. I think it was up to half an hour. We just stood there staring at the vehicles going by and observing the clouds. It was 3+ when we left the bus stop and carried on with our journey towards Teck Whye.

“Sahara” was playing on the home theatre system, being enjoyed by our host Weitang, his sister and another bud Zhenyuan. Dearie and I had never watched the movie before, so we plonked down onto the couch and for the next 1 ½ hours were entertained by Penelope Cruz and Matthew McCough-na-hey. Not too bad show lah.

Edwin and his gf Fiona came at 4:30pm and when our show was over at 5, talk of dinner plans started while the guys tried busily to set up the PS2. Another was busy running stuff on his computer to one of the other’s laptop. Clearly they were all prepped for a gaming night. 2 laptops, the sister’s laptop and 1 desktop. The PS2, I assume, was to keep Fiona and I busy.

I have never been any good with games so I don’t mind watching PS2 games, and I found out that Fiona’s a Metal Slug fan. The guys couldn’t get their WoW started yet so they were busy calibrating their gun for some gun-shooting game on PS2. It was hilarious watching those 4 trying to do so. Apparently there was either something wrong with the gun or the TV.

We later learnt, after bringing out a 14” super old TV, that it was the large TV that was giving the problem because it was too new and had some Progressive Scan thingy. It was extremely entertaining watching 2 guys playing the shooting game on a 14” TV. One using a controller, the other using a gun. They were lying on the floor to be on level with the tiny screen.

While we waited to leave for dinner at 7, I tried my hand at Metal Slug and used a whopping 32 continues to complete it. I was certainly overdressed for this night out, but heck, I was actually planning to bail if anyone had plans in town.

I asked a few people and Bladey was a Orchard, Shirley at Esplanade, and YL had yet to have her night planned out. Dinner was at a nearby “zhi cha” place. Not too bad, considering $100 for 6 pax.

I was planning to join YL depending on where she was going that night, but I waited for her SMS but it never came. I figured she was busy or something so I gave it up. She asked me the day before why I didn’t reply her – so it turns out our SMS got lost in transit during the high traffic and so we landed up not meeting up.

Heading back to Weitang’s place, we got the board game out. I believe Weitang’s sister was out for the countdown by then. Dearie brought out the Cordon Bleu I got for him and we had a round of drinks with the game.

I cannot remember if this board game is called Cash Flow or Who wants to get out of the rat race. For simplicity sake, I’ll use Cash Flow. Let me first explain that this board game is rather complicated. It requires calculation and recording of “investments”, etc. Sounds like a turn off eh? But really, having played it once before, it is very fun. Not only that, it can keep you occupied for hours – and you wouldn’t even notice.

When the clock struck 12, we exchanged our “happy new year” greetings and got on with the game again. Weitang was instructed to pick his sister up from the countdown and had to wait for her call. We only stopped the game before he had to make a move. Edwin and Fiona decided to take the opportunity and go home and take a bath then join us again. That left me, Dearie and Zhenyuan. Needless to say, Dearie fell asleep. Zhenyuan channel hopped but for some reason, no channel was showing anything worthwhile. I soon drifted off to a light sleep.

Edwin and Fiona came back. This time Edwin’s sister came along too! She’s another one of those fun-loving girls. Very fun to be with. I don’t know why but only then did we pop the DVD for Team America into the Home Theatre system. Turns out, we didn’t know how to turn on the sound for the DVD set. Blech. Everything in his home too new already.

We watched the first 15 min of the show without any sound. Thank goodness for subtitles. It was a good funny 15 mins though. Heehee! Damn. I’d like to watch the whole thing.

We stopped the movie because Weitang finally got back with his sister. This was nearly 2 hours from the time he left his house. My goodness. All thanks to the New Year jam. Scary.

We headed for supper. I think it was 3am. The place that sells prata at Bukit Timah was packed with people as if it were daylight. Singaporeans. Food never enough.

It started to drizzle after supper. What timing. Dearie and I headed home in the drizzle and he stayed over that night. Ki was sleeping with my mum in her room, resulting in my dad having to sleep in my sister’s room. That pig sister only comes home to grab her clothes anyway. The room is like a guest room now. We could turn it into Ki’s play room too.

Dearie and I slipped into a deep good sleep. We needed it. It wasn’t the “happening” new year I wanted, but any time with friends is always a good time. I enjoyed myself. Some people say hanging out is boring. I say those people are hanging out with the wrong people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home