Juz Another Gal

What else can I say? I'm just another girl!

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Weekend: Part I

Friday.
Concert Day.

I took half a day off to go to CTSS and get ready for the concert. This was the part I was pretty used to. Pick out instruments and carry them to the front gate of the school... Physically taxing but the jogging really helped my stamina. My arms were never that weak to carry stuff so it was all right. Only that the heat was quite bad. Blech.

We hired a bus 'cos it was cheaper than getting a lorry. It was kinda hard moving the stuff up the bus but thank goodness there were a few guys around.

When we eventually reached YMS Arts Centre, Qiuyu pointed out to me that the house like structure beside the centre was actually my ex-classmate's (Shiji) mum's dance studio. WOW.

Anyway, we moved the instruments into the hall. Thank goodness there were a couple more hands waiting there already. I stepped in and was a little.. hmm.. shocked? I guess I was just not used to seeing such an intimate hall. The stage was small, and the audience area was really close to the stage. Perfect setting for the concert - but intimadating for us performers - especially such a rookie like myself.

I checked out the area quickly and as I was told, there were no backstage rooms, but a small area where we could keep our belongings, etc. Wilfred did all the organising and stuff 'cos I really wasn't sure what I should have told them anyway. I just helped him in whatever way I could in setting the place up.

That goes to say that I did not have time to practice. And it also meant I pretty much screwed up during the concert. I should've known better to try out the piano once I was there. I had noticed that as long as I played the piece a couple of times through before the actual performance, I'd have done fine.

Nerves got the better of me. Eeks.

It was fun though. We were really exposed. Everything we played was amplified. We didn't have to use any mics except for presenting the pieces (for the emcees I mean).

Why no photos?
No time to take. Simple as that. Our "pro" photographer should be getting the photos developed. Maybe I'll scan those when I'm free, when they are ready.

That night was Wilfred's birthday. I had gone to Borders the day before to get hold of a voucher and intended to get a birthday card. TUrned out I couldn't find anything nice, so I got a notebook, and got every member I could to sign and write something inside.
Unfortunately, silly me forgot to collect the money for the present. CRAP. I've never felt so broke in a long time. CRAP CRAP CRAP. My visa has been exhausted. i am absolutely certain I blew my ENTIRE salary for this month, and could have eaten into my previous month's savings too.

OH NO.... WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?!

Back to Friday....
After the concert, as per our instructions the day before, everyone was a good boy and girl and packed up quickly. I shoo-ed them to the front of the centre and told them to pass all the instruments to Wilfred. I was to clear the area within the centre. Wilfred did the "stock take" and I did the area cleaning. Hahahahaha... Area cleaning is my kinda thing. Made sure everyone was out, the chairs and stands were kept, threw away all the rubbish, took down all the "signboards" we pasted up... of course with help from a couple of people here and there.

I was pleasantly surprised when Victor (our doctor-to-be) came up to me while I was running around. He came to say thanks before he left. That was really sweet. It made MY day after my sucky performances.
I'm so glad that I got to do all these this year. I'd seen Yingshan doing these things for years. Most of the time I help out when I can. But being in-charge of it is difinitely different. Poor girl's done it for so many years. About time she rest.

I saw Dearie waiting for me patiently at the entrance of the centre. The bus had just arrived. Just in time when Wilfred and I had finished our jobs. He and the rest moved the items up the bus. Guilty me was busy talking to Dearie....... Oops.....
Thank goodness there were many percussionists and with that manpower (compared to earlier in the afternoon) it seemed much easier.

We got back to CTSS and had to move stuff back. Dearie had already reached the school and was waiting at the gate. I took the keys, 4 clarinets, and made Dearie carry a Bass Clarinet (or was it a saxophone?) up with me. It was VERY tiring. I think it was the heat.

Dearie came over that night after all the carrying and stuff. Poor boy... so tired still must accompany me home. heehee.... I think the rest of the reamining members went to Holland Village for a drink or two. ah well.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home