Juz Another Gal

What else can I say? I'm just another girl!

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Gotta miss the old times

My boss and I had a good lunch yesterday (his last day of work) at Secret Recipe. We had a good talk about the organisation. My studies have really given me a very much better appreciation of the management’s perspective, and coupling with what I myself feel as a ground level worker, I seem to get the feel that I can better evaluate what I think of my organisation.

My colleagues and I will all miss him. One day he’ll come back – but to bring us along his path to greater success (and $$$ I hope). Haha!

-------------------

The oldies. Don’t you love ‘em? I do. I was just reminiscing about the old TV shows and music.

Last night I watched (between commercials on CSI) a documentary about Dean Martin. It seemed to be more of a showcase of clips of his show where he sang and sang and sang. He sounded wonderful. Reminded me of some musicals I used to watch on TV. Catchy and easy tunes to sing, yet when you put them together they can form a story all on its own. So simple and clean.

Thank goodness for Gold 90FM ‘cos my parents listen to it in the car. The music they play on the weekends are the best. I still listen to the regular pop-ish stations so I don’t get left behind on what’s on radio now. I don’t want to be 23 and have the brain of a 50 year old, ya know?

As for TV… Once upon a time, I had the privilege of watching re-runs of “I Love Lucy”, “Bewitched” and “I Dreamed A Genie”. They actually showed them on afternoon TV. Then at night, there were the ever exciting “Mission Impossible”, “Macguyver”, “Quantum Leap”, and many many others. There were movies like “Herbie” (now in cinemas as a remake), and the numerous musicals.
During the weekends we had cute and innocent characters like the “Gummy Bears”, “My Little Pony” and the “Care Bears”. Oh. And “Rainbow Brite” too.
Then there were the animated-musicals like “Beauty & The Beast”, “Anastascia” and “The Little Mermaid”.
[Speaking of which, if there were never a worse song to be sung in another language it’s “Under The Sea” by Sebastian the Crab in The Little Mermaid, being destroyed by being sung in Mandarin. What the hell…. Sung by Jolin Tsai some more…. I think it’s just WRONG.]

Gosh, I miss all these shows.

I think I miss sitcoms the most for TV, and musicals for movies. It’s so difficult to get laughs out of a good script and acting. We now have to make do with laughing at the expense of others (read REALITY TV).

I have always loved musicals and always do. I have always deeply envied how those on screen could act, sing and dance all at the same time. Plentiful on stage I’m sure, but not that many do come to Singapore. And when they do, they usually cost a bomb.

Moulin Rouge and Chicago proved to be mega successes, but will there be any more? Are there any more movie-musicals? [Was “The Producers” ever on film? If yes, I’ve really gotta do a search on it.] What I’m afraid of is the need to import these things in. Argh… Sure, there’s always bittorrent, but how many weeks do I have to leave the computer running to get ONE movie?! I’d rather own the DVD.

Even piano scores also can’t get in Singapore. Must import. Argh…… Thank goodness for the internet.
I still miss my piano. I don’t even bother looking around for piano scores any more ‘cos there’s nothing to play on.

I’ve got so much and yet I’m still complaining. Well, this is what this blog is for isn’t it? At least “listening” to my lamenting is optional now.

-----------------

So many things to do, so little time.........
Can I have more annual leave pleassssse?

17 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

moulin rouge was gooooddd~~~~ :P

haha, more annual leave? i noe it's possible in the armed forces, but in ur job.... :P

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger juz_A_ga| said...

Sugarbf: Perfect Strangers... damn familiar lehz. starring who huh? Oh. Did you get to watch "Who's The Boss" last time? I seldom get to know people who know the show "Quantum Leap"!!! Heehee!
hey.. any good piano scores.. exchange k? I don't have a piano but I still can imagine. haha!

Pala: yep.. my job.. errr.. time off maybe still can. heehee.. see how I manage my time bah.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger socute333 said...

ya me got some piano scores...
sandy lum's and chang hui mei's songs... coz i know some pro musicians they are still performing... i did a musical film review on "My Fair Lady" you know Audrey Hepburn, (check my blog for the review) MFL was a huge success in 1964 and the songs are really really good! I can sing all of them coz me got all the music scores and lyrics last time (think lost liao)... my brother is a very talented classical pianist and he played them beautifully we both sing

other musical classics: Hello Dolly, Funny Girl...

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger socute333 said...

"My Fair Lady" musical review I've done is under my "studying for quiz" blog entry... just thot maybe you'll like to take a look.... on the internet you could get alot of information about MFL and I could even find a detailed synopsis scene by scene for MFL... which helps greatly when I was writing it (phew that was tough!)

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger juz_A_ga| said...

Great musical about discrimination. It's like an olden day version of "Pretty Woman". My favourite song from there is "I Could Have Danced All Night". Heehee!

heyyyy.. I never got to watch Hello Dolly and Funny Girl. Barbara Streisand was the star right? Damn.. I gotta go to some DVD rental shop soon.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger socute333 said...

ok another musical great i just thot about is (are you ready?)...... sound of music.... yawn

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Chang said...

Wah ! Chimalogy. All The Shows I Nv Watch Before. I Only Know POWER RANGERS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
I'm Totally Different Sia. I Think I'll Fall Aslp Watching Musicals. So I Prefer Watching 5566 Singing ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Prométhiûs said...

Maksim rocks with the piano!!
lol...hehe..^_^

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger juz_A_ga| said...

Sugarbf: I REMEMBER PERFECT STRANGERS LIAOZ!!! Yes, that name BULKI is enough sia! HAHAHA! Larry and Bulki. He was not American so alot of funny things happen. hahaha!!!

Hiao Auntie: Sound of music was THE one sia. Julie Andrews has such an amazing voice. TOo bad she had to stop. sighz.

Chang: bo bianz. I grew up watching these shows. haha! these movies are definitely not boring. It's the kind of show that makes you feel like getting up and dance with them, and sing too! very happy and funny and entertaining shows, not like the depressing ones nowadays. Those love stories abit like nowadays those korean ones - no need to have alot of kissing or wat, u know they in love liaoz.

Promethius: Ooh. Maksim. heehee.. Anyone here watched "The Legend of 1900"? About a pianist. Dunno who played that soundtrack. Maybe Maksim sia. hahaha!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Chang said...

KOREA MOVIES ! ! ! ! ! !
BEST ! ! ! ! ! !
SASSY GIRL, MOMENT TO REMEMBER, WINDSTRUCK, THE CLASSIC ! ! ! ! !
Watch Liao Can Cry One.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger juz_A_ga| said...

Sassy girl was really good. Original.
you see all the korean movies no need to "action" so much like the western kinds. Old western movies also not that much "action" but still very entertaining. heehee..

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger socute333 said...

Long Vacation japanese tv series i like... the characters live in tokyo and it brings back fond memories for me of Tokyo, the food, the weather, the sights, my friends.... i miss those years i was living in japan... the show makes me long to go back

the tv theme song "lalala love song" is soooo good... check out toshinobu kubota (sexy cool guy albeit looks a bit like an americanized beng)

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger socute333 said...

when i was a little girl, my mom brought me to see the sound of music at the movie house.... thot it was good then.... but when i was all grown up, it didn't give me that kind of magic as it used to give when i was little.... recently it was aired on tv... i actually thot it was boring

do you know julie andrews was eliza doolittle in the broadway version of My Fair Lady? it was a sold-out success

but in the film version they replaced her with audrey hepburn

MFL won 8 academy awards but none to Hepburn and not even a nomination siah such a pity

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger socute333 said...

in long vacation, the main character plays the piano... maybe that's why i like the show

i love guys who can play the piano... i melt

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Chang said...

Hahaha. U Like Takuya Playing The Piano Ar.
Long Vacation Is Damm Good Also.
One Of The First Jap Drama I've Watched. I Think It's Like 8 Years Ago Bah.
Nice Story Plot Also.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger juz_A_ga| said...

I love the piano. ahhhh.. all these just making me miss it more......

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger juz_A_ga| said...

I love the piano. ahhhh.. all these just making me miss it more......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home